Tuesday, March 22, 2005

i take back my words ...

many times i see people juz working & working & working ...

i've even said to many others that that ain't right and they need to focus more on their own lives and live their own life and not live for some other company & become their slave ...

BUT ... this last week i realised what the responibilities of work can make you!! if u make something ... u become the sole owner of that "thing" (which in my case is code!!) ... people using that code will call u ... they will call u or email u when they want to ... people who are monitoring the way code is being developed in the company will call you to give you their criticisms ... so now you have to call the people in other depts using your code and tell them "hold on!! 'cos i'm making changes to my "thing" ... use the new one when it's ready" ... then they tell you that they have to deliver their "thing" by some deadline and so since they are dependent on me ... i have to get my new "thing" ready for them well before their deadline ... and the cycle goes on & on ...

So you see ... all I was asked to do was make one thing ... but the chain-effect of the dependncies lying in this company is so loooooooooong ... it increases your work like ten-fold ... i'm almost ready to roll out the 17th!! version of my code in less than 10 working days ...

Now to make things worse ... I have to be done with my work by the 8th of April ... but inspite of me telling them a month ago that I will be going for a wedding in Yukon, OK around that time ... they somehow forgot ... so to cover up my team & i are working on finishing the work by the 5th/6th ... so that I can peacefully go on the 7th evening ...

So you work against time, people, policies ....
Working life ain't easy ... Oh! and one thing I learnt is that company policies are the stupidest policies in the world ... SCROLL DOWN & see the blog about the monkey experiment ... that is ACTUALLY true!!

All you people out there who work till late in the night or for like 15 hrs a day ... as long as you're NOT doin it for the $$$ (thendi by definition) but 'cos your job reposnibility requires it ... HATS OFF!! to u dude ... i totally understand how you feel :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home