Sunday, March 05, 2006

What did I learn?

Few days ago I had to go to a Driver Improvement Program 'cos of a speeding ticket I got in November. The class was on a Saturday and it went from 8:30 to 4:30!!

The interesting thins I learnt ...

- Accidents are the 2nd biggest cause of deaths among the 15-25 folks
- Kids below the age of 11-12 have not developed peripheral vision ... that is why they cannot observe cars moving around in the neighborhood ... that is why we should drive slow (I don't believe the medical fact though ... I'll do some tests and let you know if it's true)
- The headrest on your car seat is not a headrest but a head-restraint!! It's designed to protect you from a whiplash .... and so the head-restraint is supposed to be in contact with the middle portion of the back of your head (Any other location could get you hurt)
- Rubbernecking is the 3rd biggest cause of accidents ... Yeah! it was surprising to me too ... (I don't slow down ... but if you're one of those jerks take pictures of accidents on your camera phone ... next time I see you I will tail-gate you with my high-beam on for atleast 10 miles!! ... you sick jerk!)
- If you rear-end someone, it's not true that you will always be at fault no matter what ... if you have a strong case to convince to the cop/judge, you can have the matter resolved as "no party is at fault" or if you're lucky "the other part is at fault". So unless you were following too closely, you have a chance!
- Watch where you place your thumb when you grip the steering wheel. In case of a hard collision, when the air-bags on the steering wheel inflate immediately, if your thumb is in the way ... it will simply break. Yeah! it seems many a times medical personnel have had to attend to broken or bruised thumbs in accidents. So keep your thumb on the outside or along the circumference of the steering wheel

- ...


(I have a short memory ... so I will update this post as time goes by ... if I feel like it)

4 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger tyna said...

was there at least a free lunch provided or "refreshments"?
speeding tickets scare me and i look down sourly at cops on the roads... don't they have better things to do??
what's rubbernecking?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger bobbycalls said...

"Rubbernecking is where drivers slow down to look at recent collisions or anything out of the ordinary on the highway. Events ranging from gruesome car accidents to a police car stopped on the shoulder can cause traffic jams on both sides of the road, even if the roadway has been cleared. Although caution is advised when there is unexpected activity on the side of a road, a car with a flat tire on the side of a highway often causes as much slow down as a real accident would due to rubbernecking. The slowdown in traffic persists even after the accident scene has been cleared if traffic is dense. Traffic experts call this phenomenon a phantom accident. This behavior can potentially cause additional and sometimes more serious accidents among the distracted rubberneckers" ... Wikipedia

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger ~SIM J~ said...

ahaha my mom's a rubbernecker! it's so funny! i'm driving and all of a sudden she's like STOP!
i say WHAT? DID I HIT SOMEONE?
"nono molay watch that accident and see what they did wrong."
arghhhhhh!!!! i don't neeed to be stopped in the middle of a road to observe someone else's mistake!
lol

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the rubbernecking statistic because my friend got into an accident, and then another accident happened 10 minutes later from ppl slowing down and then ANOTHER one was about to happen but the person skidded to the side of the road. So ridiculous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home